OK
The Universal Selection Source:
Coatings Ingredients
Industry News

Cabot & Inner Mongolia Hengyecheng Silicone Partner to Build Fumed Silica Plant

Published on 2016-09-13. Author : SpecialChem

BOSTON -- Cabot Corporation has announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Cabot (China) Ltd., has signed a joint venture agreement with Inner Mongolia Hengyecheng Silicone Co., Ltd (HYC), to form a joint venture to manufacture fumed silica in China. Cabot will hold an 80 percent share in the joint venture and HYC will own the remaining 20 percent.

USD 60 Million Fumed Silica Manufacturing Facility

Fumed silica plant

The New Plant:

  • The fumed silica manufacturing facility will be located in Wuhai, China. 
  • The new facility will have a manufacturing capacity of 8,000 metric tons of fumed silica per year. 
  • Construction of the plant is expected to begin in early 2017 and will be completed in 2019. 
  • The project will allow Cabot to meet the growing demand for its high-quality, high-performance fumed silica

Growing in our core is a key component of our new corporate strategy, and today’s announcement is confirmation of our ongoing commitment to this strategy. We are a market leader for fumed silica, and this investment will further strengthen our position in this core market,” said Sean Keohane, president and chief executive officer, Cabot Corporation. “Cabot has achieved tremendous success over the years in China, and we continue to see great opportunities to innovate and support our customers while being a model for sustainable production in China. We are partnered with a leader in HYC, and through this partnership we will establish a world-class fumed silica production site in China.

Through this planned investment, we will be able to further strengthen our market leadership position for fumed silica and promote growth in a variety of industries in China,” said Nick Cross, executive vice president and president, Performance Chemicals segment. “This joint venture will provide a catalyst for growth in China and we look forward to serving local customers with high-quality products and solutions while capturing growth in the rapidly growing sectors of automotive, construction, renewable energy and other industries.”

We are pleased to partner with an industry leader and innovator such as Cabot to build this state-of-the-art fumed silica plant,” said Wang Yongquan, Chairman of Zhejiang Zhongcheng Holding Group Co., Ltd, parent company of HYC. “Not only will we have access to Cabot’s silica for use in our silicone compounding operation, but we also will be able expand production efficiencies through the utilization of a closed loop system.

Cabot has had operations in China for almost 30 years, and currently operates four manufacturing sites in Shanghai, Xingtai, Jiangxi and Tianjin. The new plant in Wuhai will become Cabot’s seventh fumed silica plant throughout its network in Asia, Europe and the United States.

About Cabot Corporation

Cabot Corporation is one of the global specialty chemicals and performance materials companies, headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. The company is one of the leading providers of rubber and specialty carbons, activated carbon, inkjet colorants, cesium formate drilling fluids, fumed silica and aerogel.  

PS: If you liked this News, you might enjoy our Coatings Industry Newsletter. All the Industry News delivered twice a week right to your inbox. Sign up here!


Source: Cabot
FEICA 2018 European Adhesive and Sealant Conference and EXPO
Back to Top