* In 2001 it was estimated that less than 1% of paints and coatings in the USA contained flame retardants (Source: National Paint and Coatings Association).
* From SRI International reports it can be estimated that the value of the flame retardant market worldwide for paints and coatings was around $200 million in 2001.
* BCC (Business Communications Company) postulated that solutions to other environmental issues faced the paint and coating industry in the 1990's and these had more urgency than flame retardancy.
* Over the last decade, the paint and coating industry has made great progress in developing coatings which are effective in retarding the spread of flames. (Australian Paint Manufacturers Federation, APMF)
* "Every day in Europe there are about 12 fire victims and 120 people severely injured."
* " About 80 % of all fire deaths occur in residential buildings."
* "Statistics show that generally 1 to 2 fire deaths occur annually per 100,000 inhabitants."