COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Hexion is launching two new waterborne epoxy resins at the European Coatings Show, April 4-6 in Nuremberg, Germany. These label-free, low Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) resins enable the manufacture of high-performance, water-based coatings at a competitive cost.
Manufacturing Water-based Coatings
| Hexion at ECS 2017: Launches Low-VOC
Waterborne Epoxy Resins
“Our new resins, EPI-REZ™ Resin 6521-WH-56 and EPI-REZ Resin 6531-WH-57, enable formulators to create environmentally-compliant coatings with excellent adhesion to both metals and non-metals,” said Ann Frederix, Senior Vice President, Epoxy Specialties. “Their flexibility and strong corrosion resistance make them well-suited for demanding applications like transportation and heavy duty protective coatings.” These new waterborne epoxy resin dispersions are used alone or as a blend.
- Improved adhesion to a range of substrates, including blank steel
- Excellent corrosion and water resistance
- Greater flexibility and impact resistance
- Enhanced chemical resistance
- Ease of use and environmental compliance:
- Longer pot life of up to 6-8 hours
- Fast dry, with wet-on-wet recoating options
- Storage stability at ambient temperature and up to 50°C
- Greater shear stability, allowing pigment dispersion
- Very low co-solvent levels, allowing the formulation of very low VOC coatings (< 50 g/l)
The two new resins can be blended to provide a balance of properties, and each has its own features. EPI-REZ Resin 6531-WH-57 provides extra flexibility and impact resistance, making it especially suitable for transportation applications. It also provides a long pot life and contains only 2.5% solvent, resulting in easy-to-use, very low VOC coatings. EPI-REZ Resin 6521-WH-56 provides greater hardness and faster drying with performance similar to Hexion’s NewGen™ Epoxy resin EPI-REZ 6520-WH-53, at an attractive cost. Both new resins are currently produced in Europe.
Based in Columbus, Ohio, Hexion
Inc. is one of the global leaders in thermoset resins. Hexion Inc. serves the global wood and industrial markets through a broad range of thermoset technologies, specialty products and technical support for customers in a diverse range of applications and industries.