CAMBRIDGE, Mass. and DUSSELDORF, Germany -- Interpack 2014 - Metabolix, one of the advanced biomaterials companies focused on sustainable solutions for the plastics and chemicals industries, announced that it will highlight its high performance biopolymers offering a range of innovative solutions for packaging applications.
"As a result of focus on innovation, we continue to offer our customers new solutions for packaging applications," said Bob Engle, vice president, biopolymers at Metabolix. "We look forward to highlighting at Interpack 2014 our compostable resin, performance additive and color masterbatch product lines. Further, we are continuing to focus on the unique performance advantages our PHA biopolymers can bring in applications such as compostable film and PHA latex coatings. Our goal is to deliver new developmental and commercial products over the next 12 months that have a clearly differentiated range of capabilities well-suited to packaging and other applications."
Metabolix polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs)-based biopolymer technology enables manufacturers and brand owners across the plastics and packaging industries to meet sustainability and performance objectives.
- Metabolix Developmental Grades in Film and PHA Latex Coatings: Metabolix featured developmental film grades that enable creation of film products with a range of properties and capabilities. For example, Metabolix displayed films that can range from flexible to stiff while maintaining high load carrying capabilities. Metabolix's PHA biopolymers also provides the benefit of biocontent, toughening, and flexibilization to film compounds used in packaging applications.
- Metabolix also developed PHA latex coatings for packaging applications. These PHA latex coatings expected to offer good barrier properties and tough, tack-free performance. Metabolix's PHA latex coatings are biodegradable in marine and soil environments, as well as by anerobic digestion, while maintaining compatibility with repulsing, the most common recycling method used for paper and cardboard.
- Mvera™ B5011: This certified compostable film grade resin from Metabolix is designed as a transparent option for the compostable film and bag market. Mvera B5011 provides excellent clarity and low haze, as well as performance characteristics such as tear and puncture toughness, excellent seal strength, and a balance of strength and stiffness. Mvera B5011 combines easy processability with certified compostability to deliver unique advantages for packaging applications.
- Mvera™ B5010: This film grade resin from Metabolix is designed for compostable bag and film markets across the globe. It meets international industrial standards for compostability and has been certified by Vincotte to meet the EN13432 standard. The resulting film has exceptional seal strength and good printability, making it an ideal option for compostable packaging.
- Performance Additives: Metabolix has developed a line of PHA biopolymer performance additives for traditional and biobased plastics, including PVC (polyvinyl chloride) and PLA (polylactic Mvera™ B5010acid). In packaging applications, Metabolix's performance additives can be used as property modifiers to impart a range of physical and performance properties in PVC and PLA.
- Color Masterbatches: Metabolix biopolymer color masterbatches are highly compatible with a wide range of biopolymers, and can preserve high bio-content and certifiable compostability for broad end-of-life options, including soil and marine degradability and suitability for home compost. Metabolix will display its color masterbatches based on PHA in cooperation with AF-Color.
Metabolix, Inc. is one of the advanced biomaterials companies focused on sustainable solutions for the plastics and chemicals industries. The Company is developing and commercializing a family of high-performance biopolymers targeted at applications for performance additives, including film and bags, and functional biodegradation. Metabolix's biobased chemicals platform is focused on high-value segments and applications using its novel "FAST" recovery process. The Company also is developing a platform for co-producing plastics and chemicals from crops. It has established an industry-leading intellectual property portfolio that, together with its knowledge of advanced industrial practice, provides a foundation for industry collaborations.