Huntsman Advanced Materials, a division of Huntsman Corporation, had launched a new portfolio of low temperature curing agents for heavy-duty industrial coatings applications in sectors including oil & gas, marine, transportation and industrial maintenance.
New Portfolio of Low Temperature Curing Agents
| Huntsman at ECS 2017: Launched Low Temp Curing
Agents for Industrial & Decorative Paints
The Ara® Cool range has been designed in response to key challenges facing the coatings industry, including the need for faster curing at low temperatures and reduced VOC levels in products. With improved curing speed between 0°C and 10°C, along with excellent surface appearance and adhesion properties, the products are suited to a variety of applications including:
- Protective coatings
- Decorative paints
By enabling formulators to address the need for faster processing in cold or unpredictable weather, the range increases productivity by extending application periods into the cooler seasons and avoiding breaks in the application schedule.
The extremely long pot life of the products enables ease of application, allowing end- users to save on time and overall project expenditure.
In addition, the VOC levels across the Ara® Cool portfolio are in line with regulatory requirements for low temperature cure applications, and are REACH compliant to meet new regulations being introduced next year.
Three New Products:
Ara® Cool 3077
Ara® Cool 1047 W 80
- It is a multipurpose low temperature curing hardener (zero-VOC).
- Highly reactive, formulated amine provides a zero-VOC alternative to benzyl alcohol and solutions that contain SVHC
- Ara® Cool 3077 is a multipurpose hardener for coatings and flooring applications that has been designed to deliver superior reactivity at temperatures as low as 5°C and can be used as a co- accelerator for slow hardeners
Ara® Cool 1034 XW 90
- It is a surface tolerant low temperature curing hardener
- A Mannich-based high solid hardener for low temperature cure metallic surfaces, Ara® Cool 1047 W 80 provides excellent corrosion protection for critical substrates that require fast hardness development at 5°C or less
- It offers superior surface appearance and excellent adhesion, even under humid or cold conditions
- It is a low temperature curing hardener with very long pot life
- This modified Mannich-base type is an ultra-high solid hardener for pre-treated steel surfaces with an improved pot life
- The SVHC-free Ara® Cool 1034 XW 90 has outstanding low temperature reactivity and is suitable for applications in general protective and decorative paints
“The launch of the Ara® Cool range sees us take a clear step forward in achieving superior reactivity levels at low temperatures,” explains Dr. Martin Gerlitz, marketing manager at Huntsman Advanced Materials.
“With outstanding cure speeds, even in the coldest of conditions, the portfolio meets the increased demand we are seeing for most efficient coatings for extreme climates. In addition to opening up new markets for our customers, the low VOC levels of Ara® Cool are futureproofed to meet new 2018 regulations, providing reassurance that the products meet the needs of the industry for years to come.”
Huntsman unveiled the new range at this year’s European Coatings Show, with a product presentation on Tuesday 4 April at 14.30 in Hall 1, delivered by Dr. Martin Gerlitz.
Huntsman Corporation is a publicly traded global manufacturer and marketer of differentiated chemicals with 2016 revenues of approximately $10 billion. Our chemical products number in the thousands and are sold worldwide to manufacturers serving a broad and diverse range of consumer and industrial end markets. It operates more than 100 manufacturing and R&D facilities in approximately 30 countries and employ approximately 15,000 associates within our 5 distinct business divisions including the Pigments and Additives division that we intend to spin-off as Venator Materials Corporation.