Evonik is introducing a number of products at the European Coatings Show that offers broad food contact compliances combined with exceptional performance, including: Airase® 5355, Airase® 5655, and Airase® 4655 defoamers and a new wetting agent, Surfynol® 355 surfactant
New Defoamers and Surfactant
| Airase® 5355, Airase® 5655, and Airase® 4655 defoamers,
as well as the new wetting agent, Surfynol® 355
surfactant offer broad food contact compliances
combined with exceptional performance.
These products were originally developed by the former Performance Materials Division of Air Products, which Evonik recently acquired.
Airase® 5355 and Airase® 5655 Defoamers
- They are siloxane-based additives designed to control and quickly eliminate foam without generating surface defects in water-based pigment grinds, inks, overprint varnishes, adhesives and coatings
- While the emphasis during the Airase® 5355 defoamer development process was on maximizing antifoaming effects, Airase® 5655 defoamer was designed to focus on compatibility with other ingredients
Airase® 4655 Defoamer
A further option included in this new product portfolio to help formulators meet food contact compliances is the relatively compatible, oil-based Airase® 4655 defoamer.
All three products were developed specifically for use in food packaging applications. They do not contain added mineral oils, hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) or alkyl phenol ethoxylates (APEs), and they are suitable for low-VOC formulations.
Surfynol® 355 Surfactant
- Surfynol® 355 surfactant is a proprietary wetting agent designed to provide dynamic wetting without generating excess foam in water-based pigment dispersions, inks, overprint varnishes, adhesives and coatings
- Due to its unique chemical properties, this product yields optimum results, even on difficult-to-wet substrates such as lithographic inks and silicone release liners, without contributing to excessive foam formation
Common Characteristics of the Products:
- Broad applicability and exceptional performance in many different food contact end-use applications
- All can be used in compliance with the complex mix of regional and national regulatory requirements in numerous countries, including the U.S. (FDA 21CFR 175.105, 176.170, 176.180, etc.), Switzerland (Swiss Ordinance, Annex 10, Part A), Japan (not on the negative list for printing inks), and China (GB9685-2016)
Other regulations may also apply, depending on the application. Surfynol® 355 surfactant and Airase® 4655 defoamer, for instance, meet the stipulations of the European Union plastics directive (PIM EU 10/2011) and the recommendations of the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR, Recommendation XIV & XXXVI). This ensures that packages processed with either these Airase® or Surfynol® food contact compliant products can be used safely throughout the world.
Evonik, the creative industrial group from Germany, is one of the world leaders in specialty chemicals. Profitable growth and a sustained increase in the value of the company form the heart of Evonik’s corporate strategy. Evonik benefits specifically from its innovative prowess and integrated technology platforms. Evonik is active in over 100 countries around the world with more than 35,000 employees. In fiscal 2016 the enterprise generated sales of around €12,7 billion and an operating profit (adjusted EBITDA) of about €2.165 billion.