SANDEFJORD, Norway - Jotun has announced that it is opening a state-of-the-art research and development center at its site in Flixborough, United Kingdom. The GBP 4.5 million facility will focus on passive fire protection and insulation coatings innovation, cementing Jotun’s position at the vanguard of this demanding industry niche.
On-going Program of Research and Development
| Jotun Opens R&D Center for Passive Fire Protection Coatings
- Jotun with operations in 45 countries, is committed to an on-going program of research and development (R&D)
- Jotun develops unique protective coatings such as the Steelmaster range and Jotachar, the industry’s first mesh free solution for hydrocarbon and jet fires, tailor-made to meet the most exacting requirements of industry, consumers and regulators worldwide
- It is now seeking to expand its specialist team of fire protection chemists and products in response to increasing demand within the infrastructure, oil, gas, petrochemical and energy sectors
“We’re experiencing sustained growth in our advanced fire protection coatings segment and we want to build on that momentum
,” explains James Irving, Jotun R&D Manager. “We already have a cutting-edge fire and insulation research facility in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and this new center will work in tandem with that established team, increasing capacity and accelerating new developments."
UK - Centre of Excellence for Passive Fire Protection Technology
The UK is a center of excellence for passive fire protection technology, with a strong network of third party test facilities, classification societies and safety specialists. It’s therefore an obvious choice for this major investment, which we believe will help attract exactly the kind of dedicated, high-level talent we’re looking for to develop further ground-breaking passive fire protection solutions.”
The New Investment
- Jotun has owned and operated the Flixborough site since 1989.
- The new investment will see the creation of a 1,600 m² two-floor facility, featuring two furnace areas (to test intumescent paints), laboratories, mill rooms, offices and plant space
- In addition, an impressive atrium and viewing gallery will overlook the application spaces and conditioning rooms, while a VIP area will provide clients with a unique perspective of the furnaces, giving them a first-hand view of the fire testing process
“This is an investment with the potential to create a hugely positive ripple effect
,” comments Irving. “Our customers will see further innovations in a range that already boasts market leading protection and an unrivalled temperature tolerance range, while the local community will be boosted by the creation of a world-class research and development facility. This will attract further investment and talent to this vibrant area, strengthening our own corporate presence here."
“It also works to expand our geographical spread of specialist facilities, allowing for even greater collaboration and technology sharing throughout the company. This really is an exciting development for all of our stakeholders, both here in the UK and worldwide.
The Jotun Group is a matrix organization divided into seven regions responsible for the sale of Decorative Paints and Performance Coatings (Marine, Protective and Powder Coatings). The company has 37 production facilities in 21 countries, 63 companies in 45 countries and is represented in over 100 countries around the world.