REINACH, Switzerland -- Archroma, one of the global leaders in color and specialty chemicals, has officially inaugurated its new Global Center of Excellence for Surface & Coating Technology. The Center underlines Archroma’s ambition to bring new, innovative solutions to the packaging and specialty paper markets.
Global Center of Excellence
| Opening ceremony of Archroma’s Global Competence
Center for Paper Surface & Coating Technology
- The center is based in Bradford, UK, at the location of Archroma’s application laboratory team for deposit control
- It hosts the global product manager for Surface & Coating and a team of application experts, all with close links to Archroma’s Research & Development organization and the sales teams around the globe
- Over the last four months, the existing laboratory facilities have been extended and state-of-the-art equipment for application development and measurement have been installed
New Technologies in Barrier and Surface Coating
This investment emphasizes the commitment by Archroma to bring new technologies in the area of barrier and surface coating to the packaging market. At the opening session, Beate Plueckhan, President Region EMEA, commented on the potential offered by this market: “Especially in the area of food packaging, consumers are looking for safe, convenient and sustainable packaging. This offers many opportunities to market new surface & coating solutions. With its technology and application know-how Archroma is well positioned to participate more intensively in this growing market.”
The new application laboratory will also allow Archroma to quickly run application tests for packaging producers, as well as to develop customized recipes for them.
Eco-advanced Innovations in Food Packaging
| Beate Plueckhan, President Region EMEA, at
the opening ceremony of Archroma’s Global Competence Center
During the last few years, Archroma has launched several eco-advanced innovations in the area of food packaging. Its solutions are widely accepted in the market and the company is continuing to strengthen its capacities in order to support the segment’s increasing demands. Examples include:
- Cartaguard® KST liq: A cationic fluoropolymer providing a strong and long-lasting barrier to grease and water. FDA and BfR approved.
- Cartaseal® HFU liq: A recyclable wax alternative coating for corrugated packaging and multipurpose water barrier coating. Fluorine-free and FDA compliant
- Cartaseal® VWF liq: Extremely flexible water vapor barrier coating imparting grease, oil, fat and solvent resistance. It is a FDA and BfR approved fluorine-free alternative providing complete protection ideal for ream wrap, food and pharmaceutical packaging
“These products are great examples highlighting Archroma’s ability to provide a specific solution for every individual packaging challenge: be it superior barrier properties to oil, water and water vapor, be it excellent printability, glueability, and heat sealability, or temperature resistance. With the new Center of Excellence for Surface & Coating we will be able to collaborate even more closely with customers
,” said Andy Bell, Global Product Manager Surface & Coating. “Safety and sustainability are two areas to which we pay special attention, which is why our innovation pipeline is geared up to provide new food contact approved solutions with a strong focus on recyclability and biodegradability
,” added Andy Bell.
Archroma is a color and specialty chemicals company headquartered in Reinach near Basel, Switzerland. It operates with 3,000 employees over 35 countries and with 24 production sites. Its three businesses – Brand & Performance Textile Specialties, Packaging & Paper Specialties, and Coatings, Adhesives & Sealants – deliver specialized performance and color solutions to meet customers’ needs in their local markets, touching and coloring people’s lives every day, everywhere.