- Acrylic thickeners imparting a pseudoplastic type rheology are best suited to prevent sedimentation.
- To achieve stability of high PVC formulations and textured coatings, Viscoatex™ 730 is the most appropriate thickener
- Rheotech™ 4800 is a good choice to achieve remarkable properties for tinting systems
- The use of hydrophobically associative thickeners allows retention of the water inside the can by providing then homogeneous waterborne formulations.
- Coapur™ XS 71 and Rheotech™ 2000 associative thickeners allow for excellent syneresis control
How Ecodis™ and Coadis™ dispersants enable the optimization of TiO2 quantity in Matt/Flat Paint Formulations?
- Ecodis™ and Coadis™ dispersants enable the optimization of TiO2 through 2 technologies:
- Co-dispersion of TiO2 spaced with filler particles
- Co-dispersant solution for fine tune balance between ionic & steric dispersing effect
- The reformulation of a 65% PVC matt paint shows that using Ecodis™ P 90 as unique dispersant + fine extenders enables:
- Better performance: opacity is maintained; storage stability is improved; total paint weight and volume can be increased
- A significant increase of PVC and solids content: by increasing extenders and water amounts and by reducing by 14% the TiO2 needed
- In a 50 VOC flat white interior paint, by replacing the dispersing agent by a co-dispersant approach (Ecodis™ P 30 + Coadis™ 123 K), you are able to:
- Achieve equal rheology properties and improved opacity and tint strength
- Reduce the TiO2 level by 10% and still offer better or equal optical properties versus control paint
Is this possible to formulate zero or low VOC paints thanks to Coatex thickeners and dispersants?
While using Coatex thickener range, Coapur™ (HEUR), formulators can decrease coalescent content and thus VOC level while maintaining film properties.
Thanks to a combined use of Coapur™ thickeners and Coadis™ 123 K dispersant, formulators can remove the coalescing agent (and thus reduce the VOC level) while keeping the film forming properties. And the other performance are also not impacted (hardness, gloss, stain resistance,…).
Furthermore, by replacing your rheology additives containing VOC by Coatex products you immediately reduce the VOC content of your paint.
How Coatex rheology modifiers help to optimize flow and leveling?
The type of rheology profile needed to improve leveling is preferably the Newtonian type. And the most suitable thickeners for precise adjustment of leveling without affecting the film body are polyurethane thickeners.
Coatex newtonian to balanced polyurethane thickeners like Coapur™ 830W (for medium PVC) and Coapur™ 2025 or 3025 (for low PVC) offer optimized flow and leveling.
Compared to conventional cellulosic thickeners, these rheology modifiers ensure an improved leveling and provide a better film build thanks to accurate control of the application viscosity.
Why Rheotech™ 4800 is a good alternative to cellulosic thickeners?
Thanks to its liquid form, Rheotech™ 4800, an acrylic associative thickener, allows formulators to:
- Easily formulate their coating
- Gain in productivity (more flexibility and less energy consumption when producing)
- Regain same or even higher level of performance for their coating than those given by cellulosics
- Use less thickener leading to money savings thanks to better price/performance ratio
In addition, Rheotech™ 4800 demonstrates better water-dilution resistance and storage stability in comparison to cellulosic thickeners.
How Rheotech™ 3800 thickeners enable costs savings in matt & semi-gloss paints?
Rheotech™ 3800 is an acrylic associative thickener effective at low dosage. It enables formulators to make cost savings by using less thickener while matching the perfect rheological balance in waterborne matt & semi-gloss paints.
Are Coatex dispersing agents and thickeners ready to use?
All Coatex dispersing agents, thickeners, acrylics or polyurethanes are ready to use.
Their liquid form enables easily pumpable use. In addition no preparation solubilization is needed resulting in better product flow.
Can the Rheotech™ thickener range address the viscosity drop and color float issues when using universal colorant in tinting paints?
Viscosity drop upon tinting as well as color float can be easily addressed with the associative acrylic rheology modifiers from the Rheotech™ range.
For example, the paints based on Rheotech™ 4800 thickener exhibits less viscosity drop than the ones formulated with traditional acrylic rheology modifiers.
Rheotech™ thickener range can ensure improved behavior after tinting comparatively to that of standard acrylic thickeners or HEC thickeners.
VOC water-based tinting coatings can benefit from the Rheotech™ thickeners offering excellent color acceptance performances even in the presence of high levels of deep colorants.
Is there any Coatex thickener adapted to spray applications?
Thanks to its very large thixotropic character, Coatex thickener Thixol™ 53 L can be applied in various ways. Coatex thickener Thixol™ 53 L is adapted to brush and spray applications.
Many other Coatex thickeners are adapted to spray application.
Why Coatex rheology modifiers contribute to a good film build and a good brushability?
Covering power results from the combination of the coating’s inherent opacity (depending mostly on fillers, pigments and pigment volume concentration (PVC)), and the thickness transferable onto the support.
Rheology should therefore help to produce sufficient thickness deposited at every application (the film build), while maintaining ease of application (brushability).
These properties can be quantified by measuring viscosity at high velocity gradient.
In this area, Coatex polyurethane type Newtonian thickeners (HEUR) prove satisfactory.
The most newtonian acrylic thickeners (HASE) are also capable of imparting excellent control of the film build effect, which helps mask the support’s blemishes more effectively whereas cellulose type thickeners (HEC) often present major shortcomings.
- Rheotech™ 2000 acrylic thickener provides excellent film build effect, no syneresis and improved pigment compatibility.
- Coapur™ 3025 polyurethane thickener provides excellent film build and water resistance
How Coatex HEUR thickeners help to improve water resistance?
Good water resistance means good resistance to water absorption for exterior coatings and good wet scrub resistance for interior coatings.
Coatex Polyurethane type thickeners can improve the water resistance of coatings with medium and low PVC thanks to their highly hydrophobic nature, which notably marks them out from cellulose thickeners for example.
Other solutions are available to improve water resistance: Combination of acrylic thickeners of an associative nature at low dosage with polyurethane thickeners, for lower thickening cost, and with constant binder content.
Water barrier properties can be improved by using Coapur™ 830 W (for medium PVC) and Coapur™ 3025 (for low PVC) comparatively to that of cellulosics.